Sunday, August 11, 2013

Esmes' crochet blanket and edge patterns

Because I’m usually held busy during the day by my 9month old boy, I decided to post the patterns for Esmes’ blanket and the crochet edging on the blog rather than emailing it.  I’m just afraid I’ll forget someone and I've been getting requests for the pattern in drips and drabs!

I crocheted this edge from a picture I saw on pinterest, so it’s not necessarily the ‘correct’ or ‘best’ way to crochet it, but it came out the way I wanted.  I had to wing it a bit in the third round…I’ll tell you what I did when we get there. 

This will also be the first pattern I type out, so if you are unclear on something please don’t hesitate to ask, or if you have any suggestions, I’m all ears! 

Here we go:

{Basic Rectangular Granny Blanket}

Yarn used:  Elle Pure Gold Double Knit (My favourite)
Colors:  Salmon (4)
                Terracotta (3)
                Rose (2)
                Azzure (blue) (1)
                Amethyst (2)
Hook size:  4mm
Finished blanket notions:  115x105 cm


{After each round you can finish off and start the next round with a new color, or you can complete the blanket in one color.}

Round 1:        (Start your granny rectangle)  Ch16.  In fourth ch from hook {2dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch1} corner 1 and 2 made.  {skip two ch, 3dc, ch1}  3 times.  In the last ch work {3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch1} corner 3 and 4 made.  {skip two ch, 3dc, ch1}  3 times.  Ss in top of ch3 space.  Finish off.

Round 2:         Ss your new color in the ch 2 corner space you finished round 1, then work {ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc, ch1} then in the next ch2 space work {3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch1}.  In every ch1 space across work {3dc, ch1} and when you get to the third ch2 corner space again work {3dc, 2ch, 3dc, ch1} repeat for the fourth and last ch2 space.  In the next ch1 spaces work {3dc, ch1}.  finish off by ss in the top of the ch3 space you started with. 

Round 3 and following rounds:

                      To make corners in ch2 spaces:  {3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch1}
                      Working in ch1 spaces:  {3dc, ch1}

{Keep adding rounds until you are happy with the size of your blanket.  You can change colors whenever you want and however you want.  I just made sure that my accent color (the blue) was spaced evenly for some uniformity.}

Last round:         


NOTE:   If your plan to use my Esme-edge pattern for your blanket, make sure that you end your last round of dc’s and ch1's with a number of stitches that are divisible by 3.  (Each dc counts as one stitch and each ch1 space counts as one stitch. ) 

For example I ended my last round on a total of 672 stitches.  I counted the number of ch1 spaces which were 168, which meant that there are also 168 dc clusters with 3 dc's in each cluster.  You may use this formula for calculating the stitches at the end.

Mine:  (168x3)+168 = 672 
General:  (dc’s x 3) + ch1's = total # of stitches



{Esmes' Edge}

Special stitches:  Picot - ch4, ss in fourth ch from hook.  (Make sure to stick hook into the front loop of the fourth chain, otherwise your picot will bend backwards.)

Round 1:     (Starting on 3rd dc of any corner space) Ch 1, sc in each stitch around blanket (in multiples of 3), ss in beginning ch.  (I did this in blue)

Round 2:     Ch 5, dc in 3rd ch from hook (there should be 2 open ch's).  {Ch2, skip 2 ch, dc,}  Repeat all the way around, ss in 3rd ch of ch5 space.

Round 3:     {ch3, sc into ch loop, ch3, sc into ch loop, ch3, sc into ch loop, ch4 sc into ch loop} Reapeat all around, ss into first ch of beginning ch3 loop.

{If round 3 does not work out perfectly don't worry too much, it will work out in the end.  Just make sure to complete the sequence in {these brackets} ending on a ch4 loop}

Round 4:     {Ch3, sc into ch3 loop, ch3, sc into ch3 loop,.  Into ch 4 space work *5dc, ch2, 5dc*.  Sc into next ch3 loop.}  Repeat around edge.  Sc into 1st ch of ch3 loop.

Round 5:     {Ch3, sc into ch3 loop, ch 4.  Into ch2 space work *3dc, ch2, 3dc*.  Ch4, sc into next ch3 loop.  Ch3, sc into next ch3 loop.} Repeat around.  Ss into first ch of ch3 loop.

Round 6:     {Into ch4 space work *6dc,picot*.  Into ch2 space work *3dc, picot, 3dc, picot*.  Into ch 4 space work *6dc*.  Sc in next ch3 space}.  Repeat around ss into sc at the beginning.  Finish off.

There it is!  Wow, that was harder than I thought!  If you have any trouble, please don't hesitate to contact me :)  

Please send me photos of your finished products or post them on the facebook page 'Ons hekel' with a tag {Esmes' Edge}.  

Happy hooking
{L}



No comments:

Post a Comment