Tuesday, January 7, 2014

New Year, New Opportunities

Any new years resolutions?  Cliché I know, but I think resolutions are a good thing.  It keeps us moving forward and it helps us to evaluate where we are in our lives and where we want to get to.


My resolutions for 2014 are:

1.       Post WEEKLY on ‘make me some happy’ (this is a big one)
2.       Get fit
3.       Crochet more
4.       Socialize more
5.       DIY more
6.       Create more moments with my family
7.       Expand my family ;)
8.       Do not fall behind with my school administration (first year as a teacher)
9.       Get a monthly facial
10.   Work in the garden

That’s it, I’ll leave it with these 10 for now.  I think this is already a handful to master.

On a more crafty note, I went a bit fabric-crazy during the holidays. 


Seeing that chiffon is making a comeback I was determined to make myself at least 2 tops, 2 cotton dresses and a skirt.  I just love the pink Aztec print.  A valuable lesson I learnt from working with chiffon:

Before you cut out your pattern, make a saturated sugar or starch solution, dip the whole length of the fabric in the solution and hang straight to dry.  It causes the chiffon to become stiff like cotton and subsequently the fabric is a breeze to work with…no more stretching, cutting skew and getting caught in the machine.  Afterwards you just rinse the garment and TADAA, soft and flowy like it should be. 

The holidays were so busy but so far I've made...

A Salmon chiffon top using Simplicity pattern number 1806



A cotton dress (60's) work in progress made from Simplicity pattern number 2922



These are projects I still have to do before the end of the week:




I still have so much to do, I love taking my time though.  On Friday we're having a Masterchef Mystery Box party.  I got the idea from my sister in law, who held one very successfully.  I'll let you know how it went and how it works.  

I'm eager for the holidays to be over to get back into our routine.  I hope this year is a big year for us and for you.   Blessings and good luck for 2014 for everyone!

{L}

No comments:

Post a Comment